The development area forms part of a derelict brownfield site on the northern bank of the River Thames known as Fiddlers Reach.
Until recently the Fiddlers Reach site was used as a cement and block making works. The Fiddlers Reach site is currently being used for temporary material storage and haulage operations.
The site for the proposed development is allocated in Thurrock Council’s Local Plan for development of Industrial and Commercial uses and is well located to provide renewable heat and power to the P&G manufacturing plant.
The design of the Biomass CHP Plant has taken into account various constraints including:
- the presence of residential areas to the east of Wouldham Road and to the north of the railway line;
- historical ground contamination;
- the railway line that runs along the north of the site;
- presence of oil pipelines running along the eastern boundary of the site;
- protected species that are known to be present on parts of the Fiddlers Reach site; and
- the proximity to the existing Air Quality Management Area (AQMA).